Aston is a village pre-dating the Norman conquest and is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Beehive Cottage is one of the oldest houses in the village.
We understand it took its name from a public house dating from 1871, called The Bee Hive which stood directly in front of the cottage. The pub closed in 1912 and became a shop, serving the community for many years, before reverting to a private residence. A narrow driveway (between The Bee Hive, now called The Old Beehive, and another cottage) leads to a five barred gate and the main drive which has a recently constructed detached garage.
It is a remarkable property which has been lovingly maintained and improved by the present owner whom has lived there for the last 30 years. The cottage has two distinct elevations; the main part is timber framed with a white stuccoed finish under a clay tiled roof and is believed to date from the late 17th century. The adjoining wing is also timber framed and stuccoed but has a thatched roof, it houses the main reception room and has a magnificent vaulted ceiling with Minstrels gallery to one end. According to historical records it was a meeting place for villagers and used as the Village Hall for a time.
Throughout the interior is exposed studwork, polished wooden floors and old casement windows all contributing to the overall character. In the dining room and drawing room are original Inglenook fireplaces, one fitted with a wood burning stove and one with a coal-effect gas fire. The kitchen is fitted with a modern range of solid oak units and Corian worktops, which form a breakfast bar to one end. It has an AEG double oven and hob. There is room (and plumbing where needed) for a fridge/freezer, a dishwasher, a washing machine, and a tumble dryer. A door from the kitchen leads directly into the back garden. The upper floors house four double bedrooms and the master bedroom has a walk in wardrobe and en suite shower room with WC and basin. The bathroom is fitted with a white
The cottage faces south and has a large picturesque garden principally to the rear. Along the back of the cottage is a large neatly paved terrace and a fresh water well covered by an iron grid. Two large lawns, divided by a small brick retaining wall, form most of the garden and there are numerous borders stocked with flowers and shrubs. There are two summerhouses, both with paved surrounds, and a delightful lily pond with fountain.
Steps at the far end of the garden lead up to secluded swimming pool which is electrically heated. There is access to the front garden from both sides of the cottage and an attractive area of planting either side of the main door. The large garage has two remote control roller doors and the driveway is brick paved. There are two outhouses for storage.
All mains services connected
Strictly by prior appointment with the vendor's agent, Bryan Bishop & Partners, telephone (01438) 718877.
Bryan Bishop & Partners endeavour to make their sales particulars as accurate and reliable as possible, based on their own inspection of the property and information received about it; however, their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. If there is any point that is of particular interest or importance to you, please contact our office prior to arranging an appointment to view, when we will be pleased to confirm the position for you